Magnetic Nanoparticles Review | Image Resource : academicjournals.org
Nanoparticles that can be manipulated and affected in some way by employing magnetic fields are called magnetic nanoparticles. These kinds of nanoparticles encompass two major components, which is a magnetic substance and a chemical substance. The magnetic substances usually comprises of iron, nickel, etc. while the chemical substance is present for functional purposes. They have been the centre of meticulous and gruelling research work owing to their attractive and unique properties.
There are 4 main categories of magnetic nanoparticles. They are:
- Oxides (ferrites)
- Ferrites with shell
- Metallic with shell
Magnetic Nanoparticles Synthesis Review
There are different methods of synthesizing magnetic nanoparticles. The more common ones are:
1. Co-precipitation – In this process a base is added to aqueous salt solutions at either room temperatures or higher. The physical characteristics and composition of the nanoparticles depend widely on the type of salt solution, temperature and other related factors.
2. Thermal Decomposition – In this method, alkaline organometallic compounds are thermally decomposed into high-boiling organic solvents that in turn contain stabilizing surfactants.
3. Microemulsion – In this procedure nanoparticles are synthesized in reverse micelles.
4. Flame spray synthesis – Also known as flame spray pyrolysis, this method produces or synthesizes nanoparticles at a rate that is greater than 30 g/h.
Reviews and Applications of Magnetic Nanoparticles
There are quite a number of different applications of magnetic nanoparticles. Their synthesis has benefitted a lot of areas. Some common applications and their reviews are as follows:
- Medical treatments – They have been examined and reviewed for application or use in experimental treatment of cancer which is also commonly referred to as magnetic hyperthermia. Affinity ligands can be attached to the surface of these nanoparticles that allow it to target specific cells and tissues. Magnetic nanoparticle reviews have given us this information.
- Treatment of waste water – Magnetic nanoparticles can be separated using a magnetic field and that is why it can be used to treat contaminated water or waste water very efficiently. Reviews of magnetic nanoparticles have highlighted this application as this is extremely important.
Knowing all there is to magnetic nanoparticles can help in more ways than one. This information provides a very elementary knowledge of the substance, which you can use as a base for other information.